Saturday, February 07, 2009

the rural life

Jaden, Keenan and I helped Bill and Karen fell some Locust trees. The straight sections will be used as posts in their vinyard expansion. B&K planted the trees about thirty years ago, thinking of future fence posts and fire wood. That is some serious foresight, something I'm hoping to replicate in my plans for the Annex.

It may not have been the smoothest operation ever but we got 4 out of 5 trees down and no one was injured so I would judge it a total success.

Spring is on the way.

Not the kindest cut.

It took a while to get a good line into the tree. We tried various heavy things tied to various ropes and strings with little success. Eventully I retrieved my childhood compound bow and after about 25 tries we got a line set high enough and were able to pull the tree down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that felling cut looks hairy. glad no one was hurt.

the-dolomite said...

Yeah, me too. We did have a few exciting moments.
We saved the biggest tree for you, next time you make it down.