Tuesday, May 05, 2009

musical confessions

As often happens during a long night around a campfire, secrets came out. Spurred on by an incredible setlist from Radio Free Tillamook we discussed favorite bands, albums etc. During the course of this discussion I admitted two shameful facts. Although I love the MC5 I had never listened to The Stooges. Although I love Built to Spill I have never heard a single Guided by Voices song. Reactions ran the gamut, from "What the fuck is wrong with you?" to "Are you retarded?"

But worry not, dear reader, for thanks to Itunes I am now complete. Plus the songs are so short it's a good deal. 32 GBV songs for $9.99, not bad. Itunes also was kind enough to suggest that I might enjoy The Thermals and T. Rex and guess what? I do!

5 comments:

Milkshake said...

Which GBV album did you get?

the-dolomite said...

The Best of Guided by Voices: Human Amusements at Hourly Rates

jefe said...

Robert Pollard is a self-absorbed douchebag. Do yourself a favor and get some Stooges. "Raw Power" and "Funhouse" will do for now. In ten years--maybe even five, but no less than two--no one will care about GBV, including you.
Have a nice day.

P.S. I've heard about four of their songs, which I did not care for--that's GBV, not the Stooges. I hope that does not diminish my strong and authoritative opinion in your eyes. Enjoy your day as you ponder this message throughout its entirety. Thank you.

tiahdactyl said...

yeah the stooges are great, Ryan, sometimes you have to wait 37 years for good things to come to you...

the-dolomite said...

Ah, El Jefe. Thanks for your comment. As you well know I value your opinion immensely. However I don't care in the slightest what Robert Pollard is like as a person. He writes some catchy songs and when they come on loud while I'm driving fast through a sunny day with the windows open I am compelled to sing along. That's good enough for me.
I'm glad we're all in agreement on The Stooges though. I got a deluxe set of their first album, 3 versions of each song: album, remastered and John Cale's original mix. The Cale mixes are incredible, much more spare and raw. Lot's of hand clapping. His mix of "No Fun" sounds current or even next week.