Friday, May 29, 2009

weekend linkage




A few days ago I read an interesting article in the Times about how a Dutch company is trying to bring polaroid film back. They touched on how, in this era of digital photography speed doesn't matter anymore and the advantage of polaroid is the physical photo becomes art. With a built in frame and it's own color saturation and a certain realness. Anyway that wasn't interesting enough to blog about but today the Times ran their photo editor's 426 favorite reader submissions. Mace, you should check it out.

I guess this link is also for Mace, a long article about the NBA and the evolution of the game and referees. I don't usually link the Sports Guy's stuff, but this was interesting to me. His podcast has gotten better also, good interviews with Jeff VanGundy, Mark Cuban and David Stern recently.


But pro-hugging students say it is not a romantic or sexual gesture, simply the “hello” of their generation. “We like to get cozy,” said Katie Dea, an eighth grader at Claire Lilienthal Alternative School in San Francisco. “The high-five is, like, boring.”
Once again, I'm ahead of the curve.


Just so we're all on the same page, it would be totally insane to spend $400 on a plastic chair and leave it out in the woods, right?
Even if its " a cult product", a "revisited baroque ideatype", "the most daring example in the world of polycarbonate injection in a single mould" and would look so cool in a certain clearing, surrounded by mossy logs and dappled in afternoon sun.

Also, I finally put a deposit down on a hot tub. Not like this one pictured though, mine is being custom built out of reclaimed cedar and the wood stove will be inside the tub. It won't be ready in time for the Open but look for a series of hot tub themed parties this fall.

5 comments:

John said...

I got a nice "poloroid" from Sunday's Rage in the Cage.

While it may not be considered art, it has made sitting down a very creative enterprise.

the-dolomite said...

Gross. I trust it won't affect your shoveling, I have dirt that needs moving this weekend...

John said...

I was just messing with your spelling error.

I am planning on moving dirt this weekend, as we both know we need to.

For the good of the land.

the-dolomite said...

Damn, I really thought I spelled it right. Hubris!

Shiprek said...

its just upgraded http://www.polaroid.com/CES/Tier2Main.jsp?folder_id=2534374302037109

however, i hope they do bring back the original film.