Wednesday, July 04, 2007

God Bless America

I've got this year's hot dog eating contest on tivo but haven't watched it yet. I saw a replay of last year the other day at the Yamhill and it was nauseating. I don't know why I'm so interested in this, I guess it just seems like the quintessential American "sport".



"Once the contest ended, the runner-up suffered a reversal -- competitive eating-speak for barfing -- leading to a deduction from his final total. Kobayashi finished with 63 HDBs (hot dogs and buns eaten) in his best performance ever."


"The two gastric gladiators quickly distanced themselves from the rest of the 17 competitors, processing more beef than a slaughterhouse within the first few minutes. The two had each downed 60 hot dogs with 60 seconds to go when Chestnut -- the veins on his forehead extended -- put away the final franks to end Kobayashi's reign."

Quotes coutesy of the AP, who really outdid themselves on this one.

No comments: